What are some creative recycling ideas for the year?

In addition to the thorough above answer, I would recommend this blog:

How Can I Recycle This?

It’s updated every two or three days (so there are constantly new items and ideas added), and has information on interesting ways to recycle everything from old coffee bags to plastic cutting boards. They’re been online since 2006, and therefore have compiled quite a hefty list of different items to recycle. The items are sorted into different categories (kitchen, office, medical, etc), making it very user friendly. I use it often:)

I did something vaguely creative the other day. I was hole punching putting all of my old assignments into a binder for safe keeping. I ran out of dividers, but found a peechee from a conference my room mate went to last year. I cut it in half and hole punched them into two dividers with a pocket. 

I’ve also taken old school assignments that have only been used on one side, cut them into quarters, and stapled them into note pads. They make great grocery lists and scrap paper, plus they are easy to find.

“Upcycling” is very popular among crafters right now.  It involves taking used materials and making it into something new and, perhaps, better than the original.  Quilting is a great traditional example, it has long been used to get more use out of worn out clothes and fabrics.

Some websites to check out:

Some books to check out:

Sewing Green by Betz White

Big Green Book of Recycled Crafts

Rubbish!: Reuse Your Refuse by Kate Shoup

1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse: Remake, Restyle, Recycle, Renew by Garth Johnson

This summer I plan on making an herb garden out of recyclable plastic milk jugs. For the herbs I use the most; basil, parsley, and cilantro I plan on using the 1 gallon jugs. For everything else, the 1/2 gallon will be fine.

First wash and dry the milk jug you are using. Then using household utility scissors cut the milk jug in half separating the top half with the handle from the bottom half. Then you can take some good potting soil and fill up the cut milk jug half way. Then add in your seeds and some water. You can also design the different milk jugs by adding the names of the plants or anything else you want with paint or marker.

This is a very inexpensive way to create your own herb garden. You can keep it in the house or lay them outside. In no time, you will have fresh herbs to choose from!