What are some chain stores that sell good organic produce?

Whole Foods, Kroger, HEB, Shop Rite, Acme, Walmart, and many others now sell organic produce. Walmart’s organic produce, however, has drawn some negative attention, as seen in this article – http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/HowOrganicAreWalMartOrganics.aspx.

Some of the chain stores with organic produce include: Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Kroger, and Shop Rite. Certain foods in stores such as Stop and Shop, Market Basket, and Shaws are also labelled as organic. To find stores selling organic produce near you, you can use this website:

Also, remember that in addition to chain stores, many farmers’ markets and homegrown products are also organic.

When you say “good” organic produce, I presume you mean high quality. I would venture to say that the quality of the produce at different chain stores will vary from location to location—even with standardized quality control, each location is different and will likely have different levels of quality. Also, many stores, even ones that don’t specialize in organic goods like Whole Foods or Trader Joes, are starting to carry organic produce. Check the PLU code (often on the little stickers on bananas, apples, and other kinds of produce)–if it is a 5-digit code beginning wit ha 9, it’s organic. If it’s a 4-digit code beginning with a 4, it’s conventional produce. And if it’s a 5-digit code starting with an 8, it’s genetically modified produce.

I’m usually satisfied with the quality of organic food that I buy at Trader Joes or Whole Foods but I still think that it doesn’t really compare to the fresh, organic food I can find at farmer’s markets. I know the food from markets are extra fresh and high quality; I have to just trust that the food is fresh when I buy it from a store.