What are some of the best ways to water plants for the environment?

If you are talking about house plants, just pour water on them (or add to the bottom tray if appropriate for some plants), and don’t over water. If you mean on industrial scales of irrigation, there are entire books and organizations devoted to irrigation best practices.

There are many ways that you can water your plants and be helpful to the environment. I live in Southern California, so I make sure to only buy plants that are drought resistant and native to the area. This way, I’m not spending tons of money watering them each month, and I also help save water. You would be amazed how much water is needed to keep some non-native plants alive. Also, learning more about when to water your plants during each season helps too.