what are macros in lakes and how do they get into lakes

2

Answers

After searching for a while, the closest thing I could to what you are referring to are benthic macroinvertebrates, which are small bug-type animals that inhabit some water areas. Things like worms and leeches thrive in the muddy bottom areas of a lake, and are considered to be present in poor water quality areas. Mussels and snails attach themselves to rocks and sediment along the bottom for survival. There are also some forms of crayfish and crawfish in lakes; I should know, it was the first thing I caught when I went fishing as a kid. Typically these creatures can either come via a river that pours into the lake, or are indigenous inhabitants of the area.

“Macros” is short for “macroinvertebrates.” Invertebrate means an animal without a backbone, and macro means that it is big enough to see with the naked eye (so without the help of a magnifier). So, this is a pretty general term for any small invertebrate creature, including dragonflies, snails, crayfish, mussels, and stoneflies.

We want these macros to be in our lakes! The more the better in fact. These creatures, like any other insect in a terrestrial or aquatic habitat, are essential to the health of the ecosystem. Their presence, and their diversity in particular, indicates that the lake is fit for living.