What are cicadas?

2

Answers

This question has already been answered here, but I have included a little more information:

There are over two-hundred species of cicada with wingspans averaging between 2.5 cm and 15 cm.  Though they possess sizable wings, they are not very good at flying and are instead known for their mysterious arrivals and departures and their loud mating calls.  

Cicadas are usually heard in the late summer as they are in their breeding and molting cycle.  Cicadas provide food to many bird species during this period.  Groups of cicadas often choose one tree to molt on because of the texture of the bark.  I observed this along the shores of Lake Erie when I was a child.  I found an amazing time lapse video of a cicada molt which I have posted below.