We have a growth of White Oak trees in Missouri. We were told they need to be harvested every 5 to 7 years. Is that true and if so, what time of year is best to do that?

You don’t have to harvest them. Usually racoons, squirrels, or deer will take care of them. You can harvest them just by picking them up from the ground. I’ve never heard that it’s best to harvest them, though. Some other animals will eat them since they are a good source of protein.

Thank you for your input. However, I think we are talking about two different things. It seems you are talking about the acorns from the trees. I am talking about the tress themselves. What time of year is best to harvest “cut” them. It seems it is best to clear some out so they have plenty of space to grow, etc.

If you want to know the best time to cut these trees, then the best time to do it is in the late winter. Doing so will help prevent oak wilt, and you’ll also be able to see what branches need to be pruned more easily because most of the leaves will have fallen off.

Citation: http://landscaping.about.com/od/pruningtrees/f/pruning_shade.htm