Is the water used for a bidet worse for the environment than the paper used for toilet paper?

That’s an iffy subject. Some agree that a bidet is better for the environment. Some don’t. I couldn’t find specific data or stats on this, however, if I’m wrong feel free to correct me. People who see the bidet as green argue that we are saving trees by not using toilet paper. However, most tiolet paper is made from leftover sawdust from trees that were cut for other purposes. Then again, one might say bidets don’t need tiolet paper at all. That’s true, however that depends how that person dries themself after using a bidet. If you use a washcloth or air dry then that’s great.

The great thing about bidets is the conservation of water. They do use treated water, but they do save more money than used in the production of recyled tiolet paper.

I read an interesting article a couple days ago that the water-only toilets that are so popular in Japan are now appearing in the United States. I think the article said Google has installed them.

The writer said they were a shock at first, but he quickly found that he preferred them.

Not to get into details, but apparently there’s some strong opinion that it’s better to have squirts of water wash you off, than to smear material around.

It seems that many of the same issues would apply to bidets?

I have tried a bidet, and thought it was an improvement. I will try a water-only toilet … but I don’t plan on my reaction being videotaped for … posterity.

I agree that a bidet is better for hygiene than toilet paper. You can also get a small, portable bottle bidet without shelling out a lot of money. Old bicycle water bottles work, too.

It is important to take into account not only what happens to the environment to produce the toilet paper, but what happens to it after it gets flushed. Toilet paper may increase the biochemical oxygen demand of waste water. If the water goes into a city sewage treatment plant, that simply means it would take more effort (time, energy, money, processing space) to treat. If the waste water goes into a natural body of water, then the bacteria digesting the toilet paper would also eat up the dissolved oxygen in the water and possibly cause the fish to suffocate.