Vertical Farming?

How do you feel about it? Would you invest in something like this?

I think that it is an interesting idea, but I am not convinced that it is a viable response to our problems.  For example, TreeHugger points out that if we are farming vertically, most of the crops are layered one on top of the other; as a result sunlight will be available to a very limited amount of crops.  We would have to use artificially generated light.  According to their calculations, lighting for the United States’ 53 million acres of wheat would take up to 8 times as much electricity as we currently produce in a year.

I like the idea and the fact that people are realizing we may need to get creative with agriculture, I’m just not convinced that this is the method that’s going to solve our problems.