Is there such a thing as green cardboard?

Well, cardboard is compostable, recyclable, and can be reused many times. It can also be made from recycled material, making it even more eco-friendly. Cardboard is one of the easiest materials to recycle, and it can also be a great addition to the compost pile because it balances out the nitrogen with carbon. Bottom line: Cardboard can be a really green product.

Because cardboard tends to be completely recyclable (unless covered in food or a waxy paper) it’s pretty green already. Cardboard made from recycled cardboard is even greener. Then there’s cardboard made from bamboo. I didn’t know this until Dell sent me my laptop in bamboo packaging, no styrofoam, or plastics, and a very small box. They commission Unisource Global Solutions, a bamboo supplier that harvests from a bamboo forest in China that is managed according to Forest Stewardship Council regulations, and is away from panda habitat. This cardboard is compostable and actually I’ve kept it as sort of a soft case for traveling with my laptop. This is the greenest cardboard I’ve seen yet.