Is there a risk of contaminating our water supply by using old carpet instead of landscape fabric for weed prevention?

I would like to use non rubber and non foam back, commercial grade carpeting (that would otherwise end up in a landfill site), instead of landscape fabric for a large landscaping project. The carpet would then be covered over with wood chips and rocks. We are situated on a well drained property so no risk of flooding here or standing water accumulating. We have a shallow well approximately 100 feet or more away from where we want to place the carpet.

I think that the only real problem would be that if it started to deteriorate, as materials are wont to do in the sun, it could break into little pieces that smaller animals would try to eat; I don’t think that there’s any chance of contaminating your water, however.