There is more static when the air is cold and dry and normally we begin feeling static shocks when their voltage reaches about 2000-4000 v. They dry air actually promotes static shocks from happening.
When we walk across a carpet or pet a cat, it causes electrons to build up on us, giving us a negative charge. When we touch something metal, like a doorknob, the electrons jump to it because it is a conductor. When the electrons jump, we feel a shock.
When the air is warmer it holds more moisture (for instance in summer). Since moisture is a conductor it is constantly removing electrons from us, keeping them from building up, then all jumping and creating the shock.
Click here to cancel reply.
Sorry,At this time user registration is disabled. We will open registration soon!
Don't have an account? Click Here to Signup
© Copyright GreenAnswers.com LLC