Is there an environmental equivalent of Smokey Bear yet, one that the government endorses (not Captain Planet)?

Perhaps his closest environmental counterpart would be Woodsy Owl. He is best known for his catchphrase, “Give a hoot – Don’t pollute!”. He was introduced in the 1970s. Though he has somewhat fallen from public favor, the Forest Service continues to use his likeness to raise awareness. His new motto is “Lend a hand -care for the land!”.

Recycle Rex from 1993 was a dinosaur PSA that ran reduce, reuse, recycle messages during Saturday morning cartoon blocks. He is still around, and is currently the spokesdino for CalRecycle. His homepage his attached.

On a personal note, he not only taught me how to recycle, but also how to be a rapping dinosaur, and wear my baseball cap backwards.