IS there an eco friendly option for fencing?

Yes, there are several eco-friendly options for fencing. Homeowners can use bamboo, composite blends using recycled wood or plastics, reclaimed lumber, and plants. The greenest option is obviously plants, such as a simple hedge if privacy is the issue. Thorned bushes like blackberry or raspberry can keep animals either in or out.

Get creative or minimalistic and either improvise a fence with re-used materials (downed tree branches [might be unsightly unless you can clean them up] or use old, dump-bound lumber [mentioned above], restored plastic or metal fencing material [it might be tough to scrape off the rust/grime, but re-using things is better than recycling them more often than not], or build a wall with rocks and/or earth [depending on how high it must go?] — or just figure out a way to do without the fence in the first place?

But I understand there being a need for a fence if you have kids or a dog that needs to be kept in… and honestly, wooden/ metal fences are probably not the most environmentally damaging things in the world — definitely Bamboo or Recycled fencing material are more eco-friendly — but if you have to put up a standard fence, it’s not like that is going to kill the earth (that badly). I guess what I’m saying is that there are much large problems / more important ways to be green… than fencing. I said the same thing to the person who asked about what to do with toe nail clippings! But fence material might actually be somewhat of a bigger deal. I look at it this way:

If all the world used wooden fencing materials (no paint/ weathering material), but they made sure to re-plant the trees they had to harvest for the lumber, then there wouldn’t be a problem at all. (it’s bigger things like our transportation sector, our energy production methods [we’re not using our hands anymore!], and our preponderance of pollution in manufacturing [which would definitely happen in some small amount if you buy a fence made from metal or plastic]…) so I guess the best way to go would be to greenly cut down the materials yourself (using only a hand-saw), dig all the holes with a regular shovel (no bulldozers need apply for this job) and make sure that whatever you cut down gets replaced. Easier said than done though, huh?

Just go buy some freakin’ bamboo already! Right? And make sure they harvest it sustainably!