Is there any rap songs about the environment?

While there is probably not a mainstream rap song about the environment, the medium of rap is used in classrooms across the U.S. in order to keep inner city youth engaged in learning about the environment and about science topics as well. Rap helps kids to connect to concepts that might seem foreign or not relatable.

The rapper Dr. Octagon (also known as DJ. Dadaist, Black Elvis, and Kool Kieth) is well known for his environmentally conscious lyrics and is a spokesman for environmental conservation in urban communities.  His song “Trees” from the album The Return of Dr. Octogon contains the lyrics “Watch your atmosphere and pesticides / Control damaging trees and roots / A bunch of chemicals y’all turnin’ it loose.”  You can watch the full video of the song at the link below.  You might also check out the music of Outkast.  I’m not sure if any of their songs contain environmental messages, but Andre is well known for his vegetarianism.

Benjamin Winn’s “Stand Up” is about the environment.

There is a rap song called “New World Water” by Mos Def that is about the environment.  Some of the lyrics include “New World Water make the tide rise high/ Come inland and make your house go “Bye” (My house!)/ Fools done upset the Old Man River.”  I like this song a lot because it is done by an artist that is actually well known.  He is considered to be an “underground favorite of the hip-hop world.”  This song has the potentiality to make a big impact because it reaches a large scope of people, not just those who are environmentally conscious. 

there is a song called, “Ecology Rap.”

Michael Franti and Spearhead come to mind.  Check out the lyrics in this citation below.

There’s one by the Black Eyed Peas, I think.

Rapper/Singer Pharrell of The Neptunes did a great song with French electronic producers Cassius called Eye Water. This is a sort of a random video, but what a song.

There is a rap song by this 11 year old kid from Florida known as Lil’ Peppi.  It’s pretty good.  The first cite is a youtube video of his song Melting Ice.  The second is his home page where you can find more info on him.

Actually there are! As mentioned above a popular one is “New World Water” by Mos Def. I was introduced to it by my “Sustaining a Planet” professor. I will continue looking for more songs about the environment, but definitely look up alternative rappers such as Mos Def, Common, Blackstar, The Roots, De La Soul and A Tribe Called Quest. Most rappers affiliated with alternative rap tend to have lyrical content related to social issues such as the environment.

There’s “Canvas Bags” by Tim Minchin, although it’s only partialy rap