As some people are able to predict the future, does that mean that the future is already pre-programmed?

4

Answers

That’s a pretty subjective question, so I can’t really give you a “right” answer for it. It sort of goes back to the whole fate vs. free will argument. Is our fate decided, or does the future depend on our decisions? In my opinion, I don’t really give credence to people who claim to predict the future. I suppose it’s possible, but there are many scam-artists out there who say they’re psychic, but aren’t (at least from my experience). Even if they can predict the future, hypothetically, I would think that the future they would see would be based on current decisions. In other words, the future can change.

IMO, the premise “some people are able to predict the future,” is flawed.

Ultimately, it really depends on what you believe in. If you believe that there is a greater plan, and that the bigger picture is out of the hands of the smaller parts (humans, for instance), then the idea that someone is able to see into and predict the future may just be hogwash.  However, if you are of the mind that events are constantly being changed/corrected/or whatever, then perhaps people can rationally make their predictions.  The only problem with that, is that there will be no definite answer as to whether that is true until the moment “predicted” actually happens.  

I’d like to believe that the world is a subjective place, people getting from existence what they want.  Where those who truly believe in seeing into the future and destiny, along with those who agree that everything is up for grabs and can constantly change can both be correct.   

There are a lot of ways to go about this. While people like Edgar Cayce and Rasputin seemed often be correct in their predictions, there is no way to know for sure. Edgar Cayce diagnosed, and cured illnesses, found oil and mineral for prospectors, and read minds all while sleeping – if you believe in any of that. He wasn’t an educated man and he believed his ‘skill was something anyone could learn. 

Personally I think the future is not written. There are tendencies that are repeated and situations that are favored over others. To this extent, what happens tomorrow would be easier to predict than 10 years from tomorrow. However, consider that tomorrow, you do something unprecedented. Imagine cashing in your ife savings and giving away the entirety of the sum. Or maybe you drive your car to a coast and live the rest of your life as a drifting minstrel specializing in classic rock covers. I’m not saying this is a good idea, but it might shake things up for your future.

At any point in time, every individual has unlimited potential.