Should we bulldoze old cities that aren’t productive any more, like Detroit, and return them to nature?

By doing this it would cause the large amount of waste……where would we put it? Not to mention the processes to take it back to nature could have a great impact on the environment all together. In some cities and communities that have been abandoned so to speak there have been new development plans to give communities a more pedestrian friendly appeal. Part of the plan includes widening street corners and sidewalks in order to make a more pedestrian friendly community and to open small neighborhood shopping centers and easier access to transit to further promote a car free community. Interesting idea.

I live right outside Detroit (and I used to live in the city), and there are definitely some areas that could benefit from the removal of broken and abandoned buildings. Bulldozing a region can destroy the land’s topsoil, increasing the difficulties of restoring the land to nature, so I wouldn’t exactly recommend this method. Some parts of Detroit do like more like a naturally overgrown place. Yet, the economic crisis occurring in the city makes other issues a priority. There is some great development going on is selected pockets of the city, like Midtown, Southwest Detroit, and the New Center. Community gardening and urban farming are becoming quite popular, and new development in highly populated areas makes walking and biking more feasible. I think that the concentration right now should be connecting the booming parts of city to each other. When the economic situation is more stable, work on the desolate areas could be further undertaken.