Should lawns be illegal, and any place that has them like parks and golf courses?

Lawns being illegal might be a stretch. But I like where the question is leading too. Lawns are a huge energy consumer, and are ingrained in peoples heads that lawns are a necessary element for their property. Large lawns showcase an individuals wealth and success. Right?

As a landscape architect, lawns are usually incorporated into a design. But a responsible landscape architect or designer knows how much lawn space is actually needed. Then native plants and sustainable materials are planned to cover the majority of the site.

So lawns shouldn’t be illegal in my opinion, but their needs to be guidelines to keep them a small, environmentally friendly size.