Should I be preparing my recyclables any special way? Washing them, peeling off the labels?

Yes, before recycling you should take a moment to prepare them before dropping them off. First you want to make sure you wash or rinse out all of your containers, do not place them into plastic bags before placing them into bins and be sure you are not dropping any food, hazardous waste or non-recycable items into the bin. You do not need to remove the labeling from things, just simply make sure they are clean and will not attrack bugs, rodiants or grow mold. If you are recycling an appliance there are other steps you need to fallow, be sure to research them before bringing your old appliance in (a breif discription of how different electronics should be prepared be for recycling is included in the below link).