1. The ability of an apple to change color when exposed to air is a ____.
(1 point)physical property
2. Which of the following is NOT a possible sign of a physical change? (1 point)a change in appearance
a change in volume
the release of energy
a change in color
3. When a chunk of dry ice is at room temperature, a cloud of carbon dioxide vapor forms. The carbon dioxide is changing from a ____. (1 point)solid to a liquid
solid to a gas
liquid to plasma
liquid to a gas
4. A solution that contains all the solute it can hold under the given conditions is ____. (1 point)saturated
5. Which of the following properties is NOT characteristic of acidic solutions? (1 point)has a sour taste
is corrosive to certain metals
6. When aqueous solutions of table salt and silver nitrate are mixed, a white solid forms. This solid is ____. (1 point)soluble
7. Stainless steel is an example of a ____ solution. (1 point)liquid-solid
8. Which of the following types of substances would be least likely to dissolve in water? (1 point)a nonpolar molecule like cholesterol
a polar molecule like ethyl alcohol
an ionic compound, such as magnesium chloride
a polar molecule like the fruit sugar, fructose
9. How does a solution with a pH of 2 compare to a solution with a pH of 1? (1 point)The pH 2 solution is two times more acidic that that with a pH of 1.
The pH 1 solution is ten times more acidic than that with a pH of 2.
The pH 1 solution is two times more basic than that with a pH of 2.
The pH 2 solution is ten times more acidic that that with a pH of 1.
10. The ____ is the SI unit of force. (1 point)pascal
11. The freezing point of a substance is ____ the melting point of the same substance. (1 point)greater than
12. For most substances, the distance between particles is smallest when the substance ____. (1 point)exists as a gas
exists as a liquid
exists as a crystalline solid
exists as an amorphous solid
13. Viscosity is a measure of a fluid’s ____. (1 point)resistance to flow
average kinetic energy
14. Which of the following factors does NOT affect the behavior of a gas in a closed container? (1 point)the number of particles
the average kinetic energy
the cohesive forces within the gas
the size of the container
15. Pascal’s Principle can be applied to ____. (1 point)all states of matter
solids and gases only
solids and liquids only
any matter that can flow