is pvc bad for the environment?

1

Answers

According to Dr. Joe Thorton, author of “Pandora’s Poison” from MIT Press, “PVC is one of the most environmentally hazardous consumer materials ever produced” and “PVC is extremely difficult to recycle” and “Hazardous by-products are formed throughout the PVC lifecycle”.

omg.

Even taking in consideration this guy is probably trying to sell books and make a career for himself, these are pretty damning statements. The “healthybuilding” URL below is dark and sweeping, I wouldn’t even have quoted it if the author had not published with MIT.

My suspicions were increased by reading the “Most Helpful Critical Review” on Amazon (2 stars). The reviewer there writes “the author is more concerned with a colorful picture than one of substance and depth that warrants serious consideration”.

It’s a wonderful example of how difficult and distorted ecological discussions can become!

This URL, however, points out that Greenpeace has called for PVC not to be made anymore. So I think we’ll have to weigh in that this stuff is really, exceptionally bad. http://www.greenlivingtips.com/articles/186/1/PVC-and-the-environment.html