Is the production of biofuels on a global scale good or bad for the environment?

It seems to me that many bio fuels are a band-aid or a temporary fix for the widespread problems that we currently have with fossil fuels. Yes, there are less CO2 emissions because of the fuel being burned off, but for a bio fuel with an additive like ethanol, it means that there is a lot of separate vegetable production to create this fuel but we have so many problems that are the result of industrial agriculture that it could be a wash, or even get worse. I personally think that bio fuels could be a way to lessen the load on fossil fuels to make our reserves last longer while we are developing a product that is renewable and uses no fossil fuels or other substances.