Yes. The patch includes a great deal of plastics, which are consumed by wildlife. Often time, the plastic and other debris absorbs organic pollutants in the water, and thus it enters the animals’ systems. The most common way this can come back to threaten humans is that jellyfish absorb much of these pollutants, are consumed by larger fish, which are then consumed by humans, who would ingest those toxic chemicals.
As edmccoy said, ingesting these fish puts humans at a risk of ingesting toxins as well. It’s not just toxins though; scientists have found plastic in the stomach of fish as well. They discovered plastic in 9.2% of all fish they captured in the garbage patch. Going through the same process edmccoy went through, it would not be a stretch to say that these fish get eaten by bigger fish that we end up eating with the end result of human ingestion of plastics.
Click here to cancel reply.
Sorry,At this time user registration is disabled. We will open registration soon!
Don't have an account? Click Here to Signup
© Copyright GreenAnswers.com LLC