Is owning a small dog always better for the environment than owning a large dog?

Few such things are “always” anything. It would depend very much on where and how you live, the nature of your relationship with the dog, and many other things.

No — a counterexample is if you buy a lot of clothes for your small dog, take it to be washed and groomed very often, etc.

I feel like this is debatable. While big dogs will require more space, create larger amounts of waste, and require great amounts of food to produce, small dogs often have a longer lifespan. Little dogs will continue to thrive long after a larger dog has passed. In this time, the smaller dog may catch up to the amount of waste and production time required to keep it alive. 

Generally speaking, I’d say no. No matter its size, a dog will eat and consume. Therefore, if you’re adopting one, it will eat and consume the same amount as it did when it was at the pound. On the contrary, purchasing a large dog from a breeder may create some kind of demand. Whatever the case may be, these animals are biologically motivated to breed; therefore, I don’t believe you can say owning a small or large dog is greener or less green.

I do, however, agree with rigibson. Few things are definitively “always.”

i don’t think it matters because a dog is a’s what you feed your dog.