Out the 500 known coral species in the world how many are found in the Philippines?

Out the 500 known coral species in the world, how many are found in the Philippines?

I’ve seen a couple of different numbers, which is probably because people keep discovering new coral species. The first site I’ve linked below says there are 1,314 known species of coral in the world, and 486 of them are found in the Philippines. The second site says “more than 400,” species are found in the Philippines, which is pretty close to the first site’s numbers. I have also seen that the Philippines has 500 of the 800 known species.

National Geographic says there are more than 5,000 known coral species.

There is certainly an abundance of coral species, regardless of exact number, the Philippines plays host to over 400 of these exotic creatures. The coral reefs of the Philippines also houses more than 900 fish species. With so much diversity, it is no wonder these creatures have one of the most beautiful habitats.

More than 464 species of hard coral are in the Phillipines.

Here is an interesting GreenAnswers blog article about the threats the coral in the Philippines face and a report about the Coral Triangle (of which the Philippines is a part of) full of interesting facts: