Nike was planning to be carbon neutral by 2011. How far it has actually reached? Anyone has any idea about it?

I haven’t found any reports of Nike having reached complete carbon neutrality yet so I’m going to assume they have not accomplished their goal as of yet.

They continue releasing reports of how they are being friendly to the environment and doing their part. They’ve even discussed their water footprint in addition to their carbon footprint. In 2010 Nike announced their abandonment of carbon offsets and renewable energy certificates as means of achieving carbon neutrality, reasoning that these did not truly contribute towards neutrality.

They have begun using teleconferincing and more energy-efficient methods to cut down on costs and cite these as evidence of their goals to be environmentally friendly. However, these could simply be means of cutting costs that also coincidentally benefit the environment.

According to Nike’s 2010 corporate responsibility report in early 2010, Nike has brought it s greenhouse gas footprint down down, shown progress in other climate and energy ares, “bus has revisited its carbon neutrality goals and no longer purchases carbon offsets.

At its peak of greenhouse gas emissions in 1997-8, Nike produced 7.5 million tonnes CO2 equivalent (tCO2e). As of this report, Nike’s total greenhouse gas footprint (including supply chain but excluding materials) was at 1.53 million tCO2e.

Nike also reported a 15% decline in CO2 emissions for Nike-owned and operated facilities, 9% decline in CO2 emissions from inbound logistics, and a 6% decrease in the absolute CO2 footprint of the 19 factories operated by Nike’s five largest contract manufacturers. However, the Nike’s greenhouse gas footprint for Nike owned-and-operated sites and from business travel rose from 0.10 million tCO2e in 2008 to 0.12 tCO2e in 2009 due to the Nike’s decision “to stop buying carbon offsets and concentrate instead on curbing business travel though increased use of tele- and videoconferencing, boosting energy efficiency initiatives and taking a hard look at the embedded energy in materials and energy consumed in the manufacturing process.”

I’m always skeptical when I hear of multinationals making specious environmental claims. In the case of Nike, I suspect that the claim of being carbon neutral is much more important to them than actually trying to achieve carbon neutrality, which is an extremely difficult thing to do – it would invariably mean restructuring their entire orientation from that of shareholder satisfaction (making profits) to that of true sustainability. I tend to look at proclamations such as Nike’s like those UN Millenium goals on climate change, which come with much fanfare, but little follow-up.