Need shade in my backyard can you recommend good shade trees that we can sit or stand under

Oak trees are very good shade trees.  They come in many different varieties but pin, red, and white oaks usually grow the tallest.  The leaves grow close together and are thick, so this tree creates a good shaded spot.

Oak tree courtesy of

Other trees that are good for shade are elms and maples.  Maple trees also come in many several varieties. 

Sugar Maple

Here are a few shady and fast growing trees! all information taken from and supplied by David Beaulieu (check out his stuff, very informative!!)

1. Sawtooth Oak

2. Autumn Blaze maple – beautiful in the fall

3, River Birches- yellow in the fall .. paper birches are less heat-tolerant (Beautiful bark)

4. Crepe Myrtle Trees

( – 1

( – 2

( – 3

( – 4

Weeping willows!!

The answer really depends on what kind of tree you enjoy. I like the ones letting through a gentle bright green light. And I happen not to like (and be allergic to) fir trees. Avocado and citrus trees are pleasing to me — because we used to grow them — but most people wouldn’t call them especially attractive. So the ultimate answer is a matter of taste.

Points to consider:

1. The “purpose” of a tree is to soak up light — and to exclude other plants from getting the light. So there aren’t that many trees that are “bad” shade trees! Examples that you probably wouldn’t have much use for are palm and poplar — but there are plenty of people who just love the limited shade they give!
    2. Do you want trees that drop their leaves in the winter? For you, that could be a good or bad thing. In the winter you might want the extra light that a fir tree, for example, would block.
    3. Many old growth forests that are in the temperate zone tends to be very dark, down on the ground. (We just don’t see them, because there aren’t that many around cities!) That very dark effect is more than most people want — they don’t have all those fairytales about the deep, dark woods for nothing.
    4. Commenter paprika has a really good point, which is: If you live in your home 20 years, what trees will grow big enough in that time to make a difference! And that suggests to me … buy a big(ish) tree! Of course that’s expensive, but it looks like for a couple hundred bucks, you can get a jump-start of years of growth!
    5. Also, before you get carried away, consider whether a tree grows well in your area. If a natural range of a tree is outside your official “growing zone”, it will grow slowly or die.
    6. And unfortunately, don’t forget global warming. Find out the long term change that’s forcast in your area. In mine, for example, it’s going from semi-arid to arid. (I.e. desert.) So the smart money is on planting a tree in my area is to plant one that does well in heat. Your situation, of course, may be entirely different — so check up!