My school uses a lot of styrofoam products during lunch. Is there any current recycling program using styrofoam?

I teach at a private school in Estill, SC where we use a lot of styrofoam during lunch. My principal wants for me and my environmental science class to come up with a recycling program using styrofoam. Is there any such program going on around the United States?

Yes, there are other schools around the country that have their own recycling program. Look at to see directions on how to start a successful recycling program.

You could also start your own recycling program and send your styrofoam to a recycling drop off point. You can look up local recycling centers at

While it is possible to recycle styrofoam, I think your concern is the perfect opportunity to do something even more positive for your school.  It might be a good idea to get parents and teachers involved and create a petition to switch your school from styrofoam to alternative, more eco-friendly containers.  A lot of companies would give a very large discount to your school, hoping to encourage students to adopt more environmentally friendly practices.  The link below is a very popular company that provides biodegradable alternatives.  

I support your goal of recycling the styrofoam and making your school more eco-friendly.  Unfortunately there are no listings on for your city to collect styrofoam, so this might be a bit of a challenge to find a center that accepts it. Many companies do not accept styrofoam because there is little money in recycling it, but it still makes up a large portion of our trash per year (as many as 25 billion different pieces of styrofoam are dumped per day in the US).

If you do try to get a compostable alternative to styrofoam, another great option, you could also consider starting a composting program.  I am guessing you are currently using styrofoam lunch trays since many schools switched to this to save water and time or washing the plastic ones.  If you chose a compostable tray, you could set up bins in the lunch room which would take items like food scraps, napkins and student’s paper lunch bags.  It would be a great way to reduce the trash, and the school’s footprint. 

I’d definitely concur with Jen and Greenbean that you have a bigger opportunity to move away from styrofoam here and switch over to compostables.

Compostables have actually come down in price a lot recently and manufactueres definitely offer discounts to schools and other folks that purchase in high volume.

I know World Centric for instance sells their 5 compartment trays at cost & offers all K-12 schools a 25% off discount on their products.