My Sago palm has a spongelike substance around the top of the trunk surrounding starts of new leaves which look brown and may be dead. Do you recognize this condition and how do I treat it?

I didn’t discover it’s drip line had slipped off the plant until all the foliage was damaged last year. Could the spongy material be a fungus? Shall I remove it?

Thanks,
suellenhorn@comcast.net

1

Answers

I’m not sure what the problem could be. It would be best to consult a professional if you really care about the palm tree.

You could refer to the website I’ve attached as a citation and check if what you see on the tree is described in the “How to treat sick Sago Palms” section. Otherwise, I wouldn’t want to provide misleading information about how to treat your palm tree just in case I was wrong.