My Krauter vesuvius flowering plum tree has a long crack in the trunk and into some of the branches. Some of the branches have died and the tree looks stunted. What is wrong?

New growth below this large crack looks fine but has to be pruned off because it is at the bottom of the tree.

If you really want to save the tree, I’d consult a professional. I can’t help much since you haven’t included a picture, but I’ll do my best.

Your tree could be suffering from frost crack. This condition starts where there are wounds or branch stubs, and the repeated freezing and thawing of the tree makes the crack bigger. To avoid this problem in the future, avoid causing wounds in the tree and prune the branches when it’s needed.