My dog died last Nov. I just identified the poke plant that overhangs our deck. The red berries fell into a dish of water. Her symptoms were lungs filled with fluid, enlarged heart, seizures, weakness and collapse. Could this have been the cause?



  1. 0 Votes

    I am sorry to hear about your dog.

    It looks like pokeweed berries can cause some of those symptoms. If a significant quantity are ingested (upwards of 10 berries) the symptoms are vomiting, headache and diarrhea.  They may induce convulsions or seizures, and they can cause weakness.  Eating ten berries is enough to make a small child sick, but if the dog did not actually ingest berries it seems unlikely that this was the cause.  The berries actually carry the least amount of poison – pokeberry leaves, stems and roots have most of it.

Please signup or login to answer this question.

Sorry,At this time user registration is disabled. We will open registration soon!