My 15 year old Japenese maple this spring sprouted its leaves and immediately went into dropping them. It looks as if it is in its autumn fase, after having a tree xpert look at it, the tree looks as if it will be dead soon, please advise me.

Especially dry summer, and the tree trunk has a very light colored moss growing on it. The tree is one of many on the property, we are in Northern NJ and had a very cold winter.

Your tree is definitely under stress from the dry summer, especially if it has been hot as well. Japanese maples are very sensitive to sun exposure. It might be going into tree decline. Visit the link below to figure out if your tree is going into decline.

If the other trees on your property are doing fine, this is probably an isolated case.