Is money pretty green because of how long it lasts?

Yes. Although money is destroyed when it outlives its usefulness, and not recycled, the sheer reuse every dollar and coin goes through is enough to qualify it as green. After all, there are pennies in circulation from 1913, which is almost a century of use! It is rare to see other things we use every day with that longevity and utility.

I hope this helped!

For the most part I agree with the above answer, but money may not be that “green.” Bills are still printed and coined are still made, especially when inflation increases. Accordingly, it may be much better to have “e-money” that will be used similar to a credit card. I believe that this may be the future of money. However, this will have to overcome many technological problems before it is instituted.

Barriers to Achieving the Cashless Society

Economic Hurdles.

Economic hurdles may limit the develop ment of systems which are technically feasible. The cost of paper handling and getting authorizations accompanying the ac ceptance of credit and debit cards has been such a barrier in the past, especially for moderate size transactions. The development of low cost point of sale terminals has been eliminating the need for this paper handling since it makes possible the exclusively electronic handling of the transaction. [6] This has resulted in more than a 90% reduction in the cost of an average credit au thorization over the past decade. [16] The cost of handling transactions electronically is approaching the level that makes even relatively small purchases with electronic payment means feasible. Such non-paper exchanges can now have a cost advantage over checks.

Consumer Resistance.

Lack of consumer acceptance has re tarded the spread of debit cards [9] and may also slow further advances in electronic payments means. The problem may partly have been the name “debit card”. To offset this, MasterCard is calling its debit card a “cash card” and Visa its debit card a “check card”. [9] Another obstacle is that for many consumers there is no net advantage to debit cards. There is an element of convenience over carrying cash or even a checkbook. However, the user loses the deferred payment feature inherent in credit cards and assumes greater potential liability if the card is lost or stolen. Considering these factors, Consumer Reports advised: “People who pay off their credit-card balances every month will in most cases be better off with one of the many no-fee credit cards now available than with a debit card.” [3] Many consumers are likely to reach the same conclusion, though those who don’t qualify for credit cards may find the debit cards appealing.

Consumers still use cash more than any other payment means for personal consumption expenditures and the Nilson Report estimates that it will still be used in almost half of such spending in the year 2000. [16] [9]

Privacy Concerns.

It is not merely drug dealers who are concerned with the privacy afforded by cash transactions. Others are worried about the detailed record of their transactions left by non-cash transactions. Nick Szabo, in a posting to the alt.privacy Usenet newsgroup, expressed this apprehension espe- cially well:

The point of digital cash is privacy, which is lost with the current electronic credit and smart cards. Call me paranoid, but I’d rather not have strangers accumulating and swapping dossiers showing what videos and games I rent, or what I buy at the drug- store and bookstore, nor do I trust the oblivious clerks at grocery stores who say that the POS-ATM cards don’t accumulate marketing info (the people who make the cards say they can and do, because it’s quite lucrative for junk mail marketers to know which customers buy rubbers, smoke, etc. Also lucrative for insurers once they catch wind of the data.) Nor do I trust politicians who tell us that by snooping in everybody’s databases they will succeed in protecting our privacy, rather than using the data for their own political purposes: collecting taxes and reducing National Health Care costs at my expense, getting ree- lected, preventing me from getting elected, all sorts of fun stuff they can do with information on what we used to call our “private life”.

Prepayment cards are generally anonymous in use. However, there is no technological barrier to the issuer encoding informa- tion about the purchaser on the card and tracking its use. Some systems already have point-of-use devices networked to computers to spot misuse of the cards (e.g. reloading them fraudulently). [8] It is not hard to visualize the practice expanding.