Is medical research on animals a necessary evil?

Yes, I think so.  I may be a bit biased, but I wouldn’t really call it an evil.  While I don’t particularly have any emotional attachments to mice/rats like I would cats and dogs, the stuff we learn from this research has helped to extend our natural lifespan.  I work on a university campus that was shut down about two years ago due an animal activist bomb threat.  While I understand the desire to protect animals, and avoid suffering, I’m not sure if the public understands the incredible regulatsions there are surrounding animal research (and I am talking about mice/rat models for medical research, I am not in favor of using any animal for social experiments or cosmetic testing).  I do not personally work with animals, but my friends who do have to monitor their animals very closely and are required to, well to say it bluntly, kill them (in a manner determined by the university to be the most humane) when they show any sign of suffering.  Through these types of research we have gained knowledge into human disease, tested countless cancer drugs and helped identify many other useful therapies while weeding out potentially dangerous ones.  If we want to live in a society with the most modern medicine, and continue to have an average lifespan into the 70s and 80s, we need to continue this research.  Our other options are to test these treatments on humans or let them suffer and die without any treatment, both of those options in my opinion are quite evil.

I think it’s a matter of opinion.  I have a friend in the medical field who insists that their research on animals has, like GreenBean stated, extended our natural lifespan.  For me, I take the standpoint that all beings are equal, whether they walk and talk and think and do, or just are in their natural state.  Therefore it’s difficult for me to justify one life for another, even if they are separate species.  We tend to use animals because humans are not eager to do testing (in some cases, not all). 

Modern medicine has decidedly  taken the stance to practice the methods in place for obvious advancement.  However, I feel civilizations before us have helped to provide information on sound practices that are natural in nature.  They may not always heal and cure, in which case the cycle of life takes its course.

There are advantages to the current methods in place but I don’t think they are mandatory.  I think we choose them out of preference.