is maufacuring silk into fabric sustainable?

Manufacturing silk into fabric is sustainable. Silk worms are used to obtain the silk, which is obviously sustainable as long as silk worms are around. There are also other ways to make silk, but it seems that the common way now is by large corporate farms that use a lot of chemicals, which is not good for the environment. So, yes, silk is sustainable, but it is not always environmentally friendly.

It is sustainable, but the way it is done commercially is not usually eco-friendly.  The moth that is inside the cocoon secretes an alkali that begins to dissolve a hole in the coccon so the moth can emerge.  Because the fluid leaves a stain as well as producing a hole, the silk farmers usually put the cocoons in boiling water or hot ovens prior to the moths emerging.  They do keep a certian percentage of them so that they emerge and lay more eggs.

Since silk production comes from living organisms, like sheep wool and alpaca fibers do, people just need to be aware of how the fabrics were produced and how the farmers raise or treat their silkworms, as there are those who do destroy the silk worm to harvest the silk cocoons.

“What an incredible marvel of Nature‚Äôs intelligence!” – yeah, I’d say that too a couple of years back, but now every fiber of my being screams out nature is not intelligent on its own, no matter how mad it sounds it is God who is intelligent (woops, I know I just insulted your intelligence, you’re so smart that you never need to question evolution theory and find major errors in it). “The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking”~ John Kenneth Galbraith
    Take the challenge to think in a way you never thought before.