Magnolia tree about 4 years old and 2 meters with large white infestation look like bird droppings on leaves and branches a cotton like substance is left, any ideas?

4-5 years old in good health and just flowered situated in southern england and another tree is also infected! Bit of a worry.

I would consult a botanist for more professional advice since you haven’t included any pictures with your question. It’s a lot easier to find a solution to your problem if someone is there in person.

However, I’ve looked up the description and it sounds like your tree might have aphids. The aphids suck a juice from the tree and excrete a substance called honeydew. A type of mold will then grow on the honeydew. If you can control the aphids, this will probably stop. I’d spray for them with insecticide.