Just because water is clear does it mean you can drink it?



  1. 0 Votes

    Absolutely not. Water can contain many harmful toxins or minerals that won’t be visible to the naked eye. Pollutants in water are often dissolved at the molecular level; only the very heaviest compounds will sent to “settle out” or create a particulate residue that’s detectable. Water that is contaminated with heavy metals or harmful chemicals can often appear completely clear, and water with even more exotic problems–such as radioactivity or high levels of bacteria–also won’t always advertise their dangers openly. Furthermore, salt water is usually dangerous to drink, and it often appears no different to the naked eye than fresh water. Your eye is a generally poor tool to judge the contents or potability of water. If you’re camping, for instance, even clean-looking water should be filtered before drinking or used in cooking, but beware that even sophisticated filtration systems can’t always strain out everything that could be of concern.

  2. 0 Votes

    No no no! 🙂

    Bleach is clear, but it doesn’t mean it’s safe to drink. Water can contain chemicals and bacteria that we cannot see with our naked eyes. If you need to drink questionable water, boil it and use purification tablets at the very least. Drinking contaminated water can lead to gastrointestinal illness which could give you diarrhea. In a life/death situation, the last thing you would want is to get dehydrated. Check out the link below for detailed information about making water safe to drink. 


Please signup or login to answer this question.

Sorry,At this time user registration is disabled. We will open registration soon!