I’ve read that the U.S. population grew 79% from 1949 to 1997, but electric usage grew by more than 1100%…how is this possible? Is this trend being curtailed at all by the recent focus on energy-efficiency?

Since 1949, several things have happened. For one, the invention and rapid adoption of the personal computer. I would argue this could be the single most energy-consuming personal electronics device ever. Televisions are pretty big energy suckers too, especially the big screens that are popular today. They also exploded in popularity because their prices dropped (see the link below).
    The first link below says that heating, more home appliances, more air conditioning, and more families having at least one TV set are reasons for increases in usage.