Is it unfair to build a system for taxing carbon but only apply it to major carbon emitters?

3

Answers

In my personal opinion, all business should be held to the same standard of emission levels.  This is to say that if we have a multi-billion dollar oil company or a million dollar chap-stick manufacturing company, they should be held to same level of standards.  Once a company passes the limits of emission, they should be taxed, and for every percentage they go over the allowable amount, they should be taxed harder.  We need to be stricter on pollutant emissions.  Set an allowable level, and whenever any company passes this level, tax them and put the money towards environmental cleanup and restoration, as well as new technologies to make old dirty technologies redundant.  

So to answer your question, I believe it is unfair to tax only certain business, if your emitting pollutants, you need to be held accountable.

This is my personal opinion, what’s yours?

I agree completely! “they should be taxed, and for every percentage they go over the allowable amount, they should be taxed harder.” Is there any taxing system that works like this already?

I actually don’t think it is unfair. Businesses that are just starting up cannot afford the extra carbon tax on top of all of the taxes they have to pay already. Plus, small businesses don’t have as much of a negative impact on the environment as larger companies do.  It’s much more efficient and logical to tax the entities that are larger and therefore emit more greenhouse gases.