Is it unethical to clone an animal for food?

3

Answers

As always with a question of ethics, there are two sides to every story. Personally, I think it is unethical.

Those that argue the unethicality of cloning animals for anything, even for consumption will tell you that it isn’t.  The majority of cloning attempts result in genetic malfunctions in the animal, such as embryonic development disorders, and inflammation of the spinal cord and brain, along with other problems that could cause the animal discomfort during its lifetime.  Also, by allowing the cloning of anials, we slip into slippery in regards to the legality of cloning humans.

Those that believe cloning as beneficial, will argue that this will provide an opportunity to feed the ever growing population.  We would be able to better control the genes that are more favorable in the animals and crops that we clone in order to produce the most to reap a profit. 

This is a matter of opinion and personal ethics. There are many people who would say it’s perfectly fine, but others would strongly disagree. I personally feel that it’s not a necessary procedure. I don’t agree with industrial farming in general, and to me, this is one more step away from a natural (thus to me, more ethical) method of producing the food that we eat.

It’s not natural. Period.  Preliminary studies suggest that the nutritious value is the same, or perhaps better, but I would argue that long term effects are still unknown because the technology is relatively new.  Since the nutrients were not naturally produced, will they behave the same way indefinitely?  There are theories of thought that suggest raising plants and livestock with love and care produce more rich-nutrients.  That element is missing entirely from this procedure and I would argue that all of this concludes cloning is unethical.