Is it true that there is no such thing as “microwave-safe” plastic?



  1. 0 Votes

    Yes, that is sort of true.  All plastic when you microwave it has some sort of leaching effect which can transfer chemicals in the plastic into your food.  However, those plastics that are considered “microwave safe” have a minimal leaching effect and are perfectly safe to cook food in.  There are a couple of things to keep in mind.  Single use containers should be used as just that: single use.  Once they are heated once they loose their protection against leaching, so you are risking putting harmful chemicals into your body.  Multi-use microwave safe plastic can be used multiple times, but if it is showing signs of wear then it should be replaced because it might have lost its ability to minimize leaching.

Please signup or login to answer this question.

Sorry,At this time user registration is disabled. We will open registration soon!