Is it a good idea to buy a mattress on craigslist?

I personally bought a mattress on craigslist. However, it is a risky endeavor considering the nasty things people do in beds (I don’t think they need to be mentioned). If you see a mattress you want, it’s critical to know how long they have had the bed and why they are selling it. The mattress I bought was from a student in the Berkeley area who claimed he never used it (because he slept at his girlfriends house) and that it was only a few months old (the box spring was still wrapped in plastic). Its really a judgement call; as long as it doesn’t smell bad or look dirty, I would consider it. Remember, you don’t sleep ON the mattress, hopefully you sleep on the sheets covering it. It’s definitely cheaper and greener to buy used…

It is more envirnomentally friendly than buying a new mattress because it already been produced so it does not require using any new materials. Having said that, you must think about what could be on a mattress (urine, semen, other bodily fluids, ect…) before you buy one. As the first poster answered “it is a risky endeavor”

Just like purchasing anything else on Craigslist there’s always risk involved.  Although this is a great way to buy a cheaper mattress, keep in mind hygenic issues as well.  There are suggestions on how to sanitize a used mattress at: Another suggestion could be to utilize a mattress pad, there are regular cotton pads and memory foam toppers available as well.

I never would, unless it was new in the wrapper. There is a chance it could have bed bugs! Plus you don’t want to chance laying in another’s fluids. Ugh! I think there are some states that make it illegal to sell a used mattress.