Is it cheaper for a community to join together to build solar power?

I think city wide projects need to be handled by the city through tax payer dollars but smaller projects in gated communities or groups of homes can take the lead to help make their community more solar power friendly.  I am sure solar companies would be able to give group discounts or incentives to a larger group of people, homes, or communities.

Because of all the infrastructure involved in solar power capture/creation, group projects can be cheaper. There are many communities that could create a larger array somewhere in their community to support the entire community’s electricity needs. There would be less initial buy in for each individual and there would just be a small cost associated with maintenance.