Is it better for the environment to have my grill hooked up to the gas line at my house or to get propane bottles?

The natural gas line is better for the environment than burning propane. Natural gas burns cleaner than propane, and thus produces less exhaust. Furthermore, natural gas can be used for all outdoor appliances, whereas the uses of propane are somewhat limited. 

However, it should be noted that propane is a much better alternative to charcoal. A charcoal cookout produces twice the carbon footprint of a propane grill session, and the lighter fluid produces greenhouse gases when ignited. Furthermore, each charcoal briquet is manufactured releases more emissions than burning one. This is because charcoal briquets are made in oxygen-free kilns, which are an abundant source of greenhouse gases.