Is it better for the environment to build with steel and cement or wood?

It may seem counter intiutive, but I believe building with wood is the most environmentally friendly way, but hear me out. People like to point to deforestation by the logging companies, but if these companies merely planted seeds as they harvested, then trees would grow cyclically cand there would not be as much of a deforestation problem (I guess the issue is that these companies generally do not do this).

In the case of steel or cement, they generally have to be mined out of the gorund, which is much worse for the environment that cutting down a tree and replanting a new one. Also, steel and limestone (a main component of cement) are non renewable resources (although steel can be recycled), so we have to be much more carefull with how we use them.