I’m wondering about composting. Living in the city, I have no use of compost.

I understand that diminishing my garbage saves energy in junk not having to be hauled to landfills.
but my organic waste would decompose in landfills… so is urban composting only saving the city money in having less trash to pick up ? what’s wrong in having my banana peels decompose in landfills… thanks for points of views !

2

Answers

This is a problem for lots of city-dwellers.  If you do compost, you can donate it to an urban garden if there is one in your area; otherwise, trees around your apartment or home, and even house plants, can benefit from compost.

San Francisco actually has mandatory composting, because it’s a great way of reducing greenhouse gas emissions (among other reasons).  In a landfill, materials that could be composted undergo anaerobic decomposition and produce a lot of methane.  Up to 80% of that methane is not captured.  In a well-managed compost center, though, the materials will undergo aerobic decomposition and the centers will actually produce no methane.  Compost is also really good for agriculture; some research shows that compost in the soil can reduce need for irrigation by up to 70%.

There will always be takers for compost. Donating it to an urban gardening project is a fantastic idea. The problem with letting it decompose in a landfill is that much of will take longer to be reclaimed by the environment, and some of it will never be reclaimed since they line landfills to keep potentially hazardous waste from leeching wantonly into the soil. Also they would take up space that could be reserved for nasties like styrofoam. Another space problem is the gas it creates while biodegrading would take up further space, contributing to the overuse of landfills.