I’m curious to know about individual city or county attempts (failures or successes) in which legislation mandates recycling program and practices without the support of residing in a green state.

I am gathering information to motivate, advocate, and inspire local recycling initiatives. That will lead to city recycling legislation — ultimately, Our “small town” city mandated recycling program could inspire neighboring
cities and counties to follow suit.

I live in a University town that has speedwarped in population, develop[ment

I’m from Toledo, Ohio and trust me, Ohio is not a green state.  However, our city added recycling in with everyday trash pick up.  So everyone in the city gets a recycling bin as well.  I think this is actually a really good system because I know in other places, even in “greener’ cities like Chicago, people have to pay for their recycling.