If you were to make everyone eat one food to save the environment what would it be?

Generically, I would say fresh, seasonal, local, and organic produce. I know that is not one food, as it covers all vegetables, but I don’t think anyone has done a study yet on the impact of various vegetables as compared to one another. It varies region to region, for example, as a resident of Washington right now, I should in no way, shape or form consume any soy products since soybeans cannot be grown in the cold climate of the Pacific Northwest. As we all know, vegetables have a lower impact than meat, but certain vegetables (such as those that are transported long distances like soy, or those that are heavily irrigated) can still be unsustainable.

Whatever they can grow in their backyard or on their roof! I live in Massachusetts, and its september, so I’m eating my own tomatoes, green peppers, cilantro, basil, chives, and i still have a few cucumbers left!

Yikes, that’s a loaded question. I would generally say that there’s no one food that would save the environment but I agree with the notion of local, organic food. I think it is of the utmost importance that we break the stranglehold that corn has on EVERYTHING we eat so anything without corn. Eat foods with the fewest amounts of ingredients is a good rule of thumb for changing eating practices. If you are just starting out, then I would say, EAT LOCAL.

I would agree with the above answer and say just eat local foods. If you have the ability to grow your own using rainwater and no pesticides, then this would be the best food to eat to preserve the environment.