If you smile a lot do you burn more calories?

Actually, it requires more muscles to frown than it does to smile, so frowning probably burns more calories. However, the number of calories burned per day is probably trivial.

On the other hand, a person who smiles a lot is likely a person who laughs a lot, and laughing can burn a significant amount of calories. Fifteen minutes of laughter per day can burn between 10 and 40 calories.

The compulsion to overeat is linked to depression and negative thought patterns.  People who smile a lot are less prone to seek comfort in unhealthy overindulgences.  The motivation and discipline to exercise can come from a diversity of psychological orientations; it can be derived from a happy place, it can be inspired by competition, pressure from coaches or parental figures, etc., but the sheer whim to engage in spontaneous athletic activity is more likely to afflict those who smile a lot.  I am an aspiring personal trainer, and a lot of people I’ve talked to are intimidated by a workout environment, for reasons of humiliating experiences from their past or what have you, so when I train people I emphasize having fun, cracking jokes and doing everything I can to keep them smiling.  Despite a lack of scientific evidence, I believe you get a better workout when you’re wearing a smile.