If you could build your own eco city what would be some components you would include in it?

I personally would have a lot of mixed use development, water recycling and filtration plant, a vertical farm in the center of the city to provide some of the food, and I would design it in a way that would have small walkable communities that residents would have everything they would need (groceries, entertainment, and work) within a 5 minute walk.

Be as creative as you like I was just curious if other people think about this kind of stuff.

Interesting question. It is imperative that people first imagine and then create a future that they want to inherit. Some think that by definition a city is not sustainable, as it is dependent on outside resources—such as food and raw materials—for its life and blood. So for me, an eco-city is a bit of a paradox. If “eco” refers to sustainable, and sustainable refers to indefinite, then I would think more in terms of an eco-village. Where relatively small groups of people live and work and play; agriculture and industry, forestry and trades, art and education would all need to be integral pieces to such a village.  

I don’t even know where to start. Probably highest priority would be to get rid of fossil fuels. That means fully-developed electric car charging and battery-swapping infrastructure, required rooftop solar panels, and nearby solar or wind (depending on which one is favored at that location) power plants. Bicycle lanes on every street and plenty of secure bicycle parking. Electrically-powered mass transit system.

What else… A ban on grass lawns – the biggest waste of water, energy, fertilizer, and time I have ever seen. Instead, subsidize planting fruit trees or other garden plants. I’ve read about vertical gardens, seems like an awesome idea to plant on sides of buildings – either that or solar panels – facing directions that get enough light. Plenty of public parks and trees along every street. Some other green building design elements – natural lightning, heating, cooling, and ventilation – for all new construction if possible. Together with LEED certification.

As for garbage, a strong recycling program, along with either composting or converting to electricity of kitchen waste. And plenty of garbage cans on streets, including separate recycling ones. I could easily go on with this list. So far, all of these can pretty much be implemented in any existing city, provided sufficient will and finances. If I was building a city from scratch, I’d definitely go with some of your ideas about good city planning.

Love it! These are exactly the same things I would love to see but I tried to keep mine a bit shorter for the question. I think we would have to start small maybe a small city, publicize the success and go from there. If we started small the initial cost would be smaller and more people would be likely to jump on board I think. I hope to see cities and villages like this in my lifetime. Thanks for your answer.

In my opinion, direct democracy is essential for a small eco-community to thrive. Without a personal share in our actions as a town, how can we have a say in such an isolated environment? Just an idea. Hope I helped, and have a green day!

I would include much for electric cars and make communities much smaller. This would force be to see the effects of their pollution. We could make little bubbles in which people are responsible for. Additionally, electric vehicles would allow any alternative fuel source to be used to power the cars.