If you could ban one material and take it off the earth what would it be?

I’m not sure which material item on the Earth I’d like to banish forever. However, I would choose material greed as the human quality to be removed from society, to be replaced by generosity toward others.

I agree wholeheartedly with chelseyzellita. However, I do have a particular material in mind that I would like to see banned. Styrofoam/polystyrene is very bad for the environment because it will not biodegrade and it is very difficult to recycle. It is possible to recycle, but almost never happens.

I’ll second this one. I always cringe when I get take out that comes in a plastic bag with 1,000 napkins and the styrofoam kicker. If you ever want to really see how dangerous it is, throw a piece in your compost and see how long it takes to go away. I’ve had some over a year!

I guess this is more of a product than material, but if I could ban one material from the earth, I would take away cigarettes. Personally, cigarettes has stolen one of the most important people in my life from me. I don’t want others to suffer the same fate. On a grander scale, cigarette making companies are shameless. They want nothing but money and more money. Second hand smoking has many devastating health and environmental impacts. Cigarette buds litter the grounds. The smoke is nauseating.  

This may sound radical, but I am tempted to say plastic. The amount of plastic that is in the oceans is ruining the entire food chain. It’s pointless to have dispensable items encased in packaging that lasts forever. Plastic has had great applications, but if we got rid of it, we would have to find a more sustainable material to replace it with. At least glass can be perpetually upcycled. I would at least get rid of the plastic that can’t be reused. How about plastic bags at stores? I’ll settle for those. There are quite a few of them in the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. 

I wholeheartedly agree with majphan. The fact that cigarette companies are literally getting away with murder is mind boggling to me. I live in a large city where a lot of people smoke outdoors because it is banned in most places indoors. That means that secondhand smoke is a real threat to every non-smoker’s health. As it is, 50,000 people die every year from secondhand smoke-related diseases in the U.S. alone. And there are far more smokers in other countries. Cigarettes are a global nuisance and I for one would be beyond elated to see them elimated from this planet.

I also agree with Rozi and Majphan.there are no benefits in smoking,instead one will be accquiring sickness and definitely death.In this regard I cannot blame those who produce cigearettes because they put clear caution ‘SMOKING MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO HEALTH’ but just for the second hand smokers i really reach the point of hatred with smokers.Scientifically smoking also contributes to the addition of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere

If I could ban one material off of this earth I would ban pesticides. I have seen the news about bees vanishing and I watched the “Vanishing of the Bees” documentary. I did some research and realized how important it was to promote and eat organic fruits and vegetables.

Pesticides are the cause of CCD, which stands for Colony Collapse Disorder. Scientists also believe that pesticides are not only the cause of disorienting beens and causing the collapse of hives but also the cause of the decline in butterflies, humming birds and even frogs.

Many scientist also believe that the sub-lethal toxins do affect humans also but over a period of time. Pesticides seep into the plants and not only poison wildlife but humans also. After the documentary and research I have gone organic and truly believe that pesticides are a plague on our agriculture, creatures and humans.